Strategies & Tactics of Patrol Stops Instructor, CILETC- STI2023-07
until May 04, 2023 16:00
DOWNLOAD COURSE DOCUMENTS
About this course
"STOPS saves Cops...."
- Ron Hantz
There are nearly 4500 STOPS Instructors throughout the United States. Officers completing this course will be certified to INSTRUCT officers in the STOPS officer survival program. Upon completion of the STOPS program, your officers will be able to execute vehicle stops SAFELY, pedestrian contacts, commercial vehicle stops, vehicle extractions, drug interdiction stops, and high-risk (felony) stops. Officers will be trained in risk assessments and proven methods to counter felonious and accidental assaults. Vehicle stops will be broken into 12 ambush zones for the officer to be aware of and escape techniques to counter assaults.
The STOPS program is based on research from officers injured or killed in the line of duty. We then developed strategies and tactics that countered the assaults, significantly increasing the officer’s survival probability. The STOPS program is nationally and internationally recognized as the leading program in tactical/officer survival training available.
Vehicle stops will be divided into low-risk, unknown-risk, and high-risk. Each category has pre-planned options to minimize the chances of being assaulted by both accidental and felonious means. The officer’s goal during the course is to always think about the safest way to deal with every situation while recognizing danger cues. STOPS students will dominate through superior training and a warrior mindset when an assault is attempted.
STOPS training is realistic with both classroom and dynamic field exercises. These classes will also include our bonus force-on-force training. Upon obtaining instructor-level certification, instructors will be certified to teach the “STOPS Tactical” Officers Survival System for 36 months.
What will the student learn?
- Introduction to Strategies & Tactics of Patrol Stops
- Low-Risk Stops (4 approach patterns)
- Unknown Risk Stops ( 2 patterns)
- When Risk Factors Change (Escape from the 12 ambush zones)
- High-Risk Stops
- Commercial Vehicle Stops
- Tactical Stops for Motorcycle Officers
- Pedestrian Stops
- Tactical Drug Interdiction Stops
- Tactical Two Officer Deployments
- Tactical Vehicle Extractions
- Ambush Tactics for Undercover Units
- Subject Control Tactics for Stops
- Survival Mindset
- Legal Issues
- Firearms Training
- Simulated Training Scenarios
- Accident Scene Control
- Instructor Protocols
What will the student be required to do?
- Conduct tactical traffic stops with officer survival being the foremost concern.
- Counter both accidental and felonious assaults
- Assess the risks and recognize the threat cues by both the driver and passengers
- Safely position the police and violator vehicles.
- Safely approach vehicles and keep control while making contact with the vehicle occupants.
- Safely conduct commercial vehicle traffic stops
- Tactically conduct high-risk stops
- Counter ambush assaults
- Escape from the 12 ambush zones
- Safely conduct drug interdiction stops
- Avoid citizen complaints and conflicts with violators
Train Hard * Train to Win
This course is mid-level intensity. The content and pace of this course will be challenging for most students.
This course combines lectures and outdoor practical applications. The outdoor practicals will require physical exertion, fast movements in and out of the vehicles, and running and cover/concealment movements. Several days of training will take place outside, even in inclement weather.
The student will be challenged mentally in conducting rapid assessments of violators while being required to move and remain tactical physically. This will be very challenging for some students who lack movement and shooting drills.
Police Officers engage in deploying from patrol vehicles numerous times every shift. Studies have shown this is one of the most dangerous duties of an officer. The STOPS course will provide officers with the tactics to recognize threat cues and concepts. They will leave with a superior skill set to counter felonious and accidental assaults. This mental and physical skill set provides a safer tour of duty for the officer and all other officers they later train.
Student Take Away
- Provide Officers with the tactics and skill set needed to conduct vehicle safely traffics stops.
- Tactics, if implemented, will reduce department liability and complaints on officers.
- Proven techniques of necessary survival tactics for both vehicular and felonious assaults.
- The student will receive a certificate of Instructor level course completion.
- (4-day) 32-hour course. or (3-day) 32-hour
- Re-certification is required every 36 months.
Required Course Equipment
Attending students will need to be enrolled individually and online. The student will be required to provide proof of employment by credentials, work-verified email, or authorization from their agency’s training coordinator. All students must be on duty and not forced to attend the training course.
Students are required to bring the following equipment with them to class.
- Duty Belt
- Dress for outdoor tactical training in comfortable clothing that may get dirty or damaged
**No live weapons, chemical agents, or intermediate weapons are allowed in the training area**
- Master Instructor Trainer for the Strategies & Tactics of Patrol Stops Officer Survival Program. (1 of 3 promoted to this status, out of nearly 4500 S.T.O.P.S Instructors in the United States).
- DPS Close Quarter Combat Instructor (certification through Black Belt Dr. Paul Whitesell)
- Taser International Instructor- for Taser Electronic Control Devices
- Def Tech Distraction Devices-Instructor
- Pressure Point Control Tactics (PPCT) - Instructor
- Defensive Tactics -Straight baton -Weapon Retention / Disarming techniques
- Standardized Field Sobriety Testing (SFST) - Instructor
- IACP Drug Recognition Expert
- Safe and Legal Traffic Stops (SALTS) - Instructor
- Less than Lethal Deployment Instructor Def-Tech - Instructor
- Def Tech Chemical Agent Aerosol (CN/CS/OC) - Instructor
- Def Tech Chemical Munitions - Instructor
- MarTac Tactical Physical Tactics Instructor
- Use of Force Expert Witness (utilized in Federal and State Courts, and Department Discipline Hearings)
- Police Tactics and Traffic Stops Expert Witness
- NRA Pistol Instructor
- Vice President of Mishawaka Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 96